The CYC is excited to announce that we are currently accepting applications for our 2016-2017 internship. The position will remain open until filled. The final deadline for applicants is September 16, 2016, though we encourage interested folks to apply early.
Grand Rapids Creative Youth Center Internship
The mission of the Grand Rapids Creative Youth Center (CYC) is to prepare kids for life’s adventures by supporting their writing and amplifying their voices. The CYC is located at 413 Eastern Ave., in the Baxter neighborhood and next to Calvin’s Peniel (Project Neighborhood) House. It runs several after-school programs for kids aged 6-18. At the CYC, kids become published authors, leading to a strong sense of identity and an enthusiasm for learning. Our programs are free for all students attending Grand Rapids Public Schools.
- 2016-2017 internship working with youth and CYC staff members to support its mission
- Geared toward liberal arts majors with strong writing and critical thinking skills
- 10 hours per week, unpaid, with possibility of a minimal number of hours off-site
- Supervisor: Brianne Carpenter, CYC Program Manager
- Position open until filled. Final deadline for applications: September 16th, 2016
- Start Date: TBD, second week of October 2016
- End Date: TBD, April 2017
- High level of professionalism
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Experience with, and strong interest in, publishing, editing, and design
- Experience with, and strong interest in, marketing and creativity
- Cultural competency
- Sincere interest in the organization and its mission
- Willingness to learn about the CYC and the greater context of its work
- Self-motivated with ability to work independently within organizational culture
- Serving as Editorial Assistant for the CYC annual anthology, The Book of Explosions
- Designing marketing materials
- Serving as Editorial and Publishing Assistant for Wednesday Workshop Anthology
- Organizing and managing the CYC poster design contest
- Other opportunities as they arise
Interested students should send a resumé, cover letter, names of two references, and available weekday hours to Brianne Carpenter at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If selected as an applicant for the internship, the student intern and supervisor will meet in person to discuss project ideas, student goals and schedule, and to make certain the internship is a good fit for everyone.