Greetings fellow writing enthusiasts! Calling all creative minds and mindful creatives! The Creative Youth Center is excited to announce not one, but two calls for applications. We are currently looking for a new CYC Writing Intern for the 2018-2019 school year, as well as a new CYC Board Member. Both are incredible opportunities to engage with the mission of the CYC and to support community arts initiatives for empowering young people. As the current CYC Intern, I am sad to have to post a call for applications but only because this internship rocks!
The mission of the Grand Rapids Creative Youth Center (CYC) is to prepare kids for life’s adventures by supporting their writing and amplifying their voices. The CYC is located at 413 Eastern Avenue in the Baxter neighborhood. It runs several after-school creative writing and reading programs for students aged 6-18. All CYC students become published authors.
- 2018-2019 internship working with CYC staff members to support its mission
- Geared toward English and Writing majors with strong writing and critical thinking skills
- 10 hours per week, unpaid: minimum 5 hours on-site, possibility of up to 5 hours off-site
- Supervisor: Brianne Carpenter, CYC Program Manager
Internship Time Frame
- Position open until filled. Final deadline for applications: July 16, 2018
- Start Date: TBD, second week of August 2018
- End Date: TBD, May 2019
- High level of professionalism
- Excellent written communication across diverse media
- Excellent oral communication skills
- Attention to detail and design
- Familiarity with Facebook, Twitter, and WordPress
- Cultural competency
- Sincere interest in the organization and its mission
- Willingness to learn about the CYC and the greater context of its work
- Self-motivation with ability to work independently within organizational culture
Possible Internship Projects
- Edit, curate, and contribute to the CYC blog
- Serve as Editorial Assistant for the CYC’s annual anthology, The Book of Explosions
- Administer weekly social media posts on Facebook and Twitter
- Write monthly CYC newsletter
- Write and publish articles about the CYC and CYC events for media outlets
- Manage registration materials and attendance data
- Other opportunities as they arise
Interested students should send a resumé, cover letter, names of two references, and available weekday hours to Brianne Carpenter at firstname.lastname@example.org. Qualified applicants will be invited to the CYC for an in-person interview to discuss the position, student goals and schedule, and to make certain the internship would be a good fit for everyone.
Grand Rapids Creative Youth Center (CYC) Open Board Member Position
Mission: The Grand Rapids Creative Youth Center (CYC) prepares kids for life’s adventures by supporting their writing and amplifying their voices.
About the CYC: The CYC provides a safe, imaginative space for children aged 6-18 to participate in after school creative writing programming. Students grow in confidence, learn creative writing skills, and become published authors in a supportive community of peers and adults. Located at the crossroads of Wealthy and Eastern, the CYC’s programs are open to students attending Grand Rapids Public Schools or living in Grand Rapids, with a special focus on southeast neighborhoods. Programs are offered at no cost to families.
The CYC Board of Directors seeks a member that is passionate about the organization’s mission, equity and inclusion, and quality, accessible after school youth programming. The ideal candidate will have fundraising experience and a broad network to share with the organization.
If interested, please contact Shawnte Williams and Lindsay McHolme and share your resume.
Shawnte Williams Lindsay McHolme
Vice President, Board of Directors President, CYC Board of Directors