We are thrilled to introduce our new creative writing teachers for the 2018-19 school year, Michael Sikkema and Kait Polzin. Mike will lead our 3rd-5th grade students on Mondays and Tuesdays and Kait will spend Wednesday afternoons with our 1st and 2nd graders. Both teachers come to us with loads of experience and enthusiasm and we can’t wait for you to meet them! We asked each of them to answer a few questions to get us started.
2) What’s something silly that most people don’t know about you? I have a deep appreciation for cartoon theme songs.
3) When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up? For a number of years, I wanted to be Spiderman.
4) What’s the best book you’ve read lately? The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman.
5) If you could have a super power, what would it be? I would be able to heal mental and physical trauma simply by speaking.
6) What do you want most for CYC students? I want them to have the time, support, and resources to write and make all the stuff that they want to write and make.
7) If you were the first person EVER to meet Captain H. Tanny, what would your first question be? Is there room for one more in that balloon?
2) What’s something silly that most people don’t know about you? I once dressed up as Clifford the Big Red Dog for a local book fair and earned a free book!
3) When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up? I wanted to grow up to be a marine biologist/ archaeologist/ rock star.
4) What’s the best book you’ve read lately? I read “the Twits” by Roald Dahl and thought it was such a hoot. I’ve been enjoying the whimsy of Roald Dahl perhaps more as a grown up than when I was a kid. His characters are ridiculous, his situations are unlikely and his reflections are quite poignant.
5) If you could have a super power, what would it be? Okay – I know it’s such a typical answer, but I always wished I could be invisible so I could spy on my brothers and stay up late.
6) What do you want most for CYC students? I want my CYC students to feel unlimited in how they use words and free to explore the possibilities of language as a means for self-expression.
7) If you were the first person EVER to meet Captain H. Tanny, what would your first question be? Wanna dance?